Why Work Here? Target stands as the second-largest discount retail chain in the United States, with over 1,800 stores and 35 distribution centers worldwide. The corporate headquarters in Minneapolis, MN, hosts more than 6,000 corporate-level employees, and many thousands more work in entry-level or managerial jobs in the retail stores. Partnering with famous household goods and clothing designers, the nationally-recognized brand sells wide arrays of products. Most locations offer wide selections of high-quality merchandise at low prices, such as clothing, health and beauty, electronics, household goods, groceries, and more. Many stores operate full-functioning pharmacies and in-house cafes where guests may purchase drinks or freshly prepared food. Stores also donate five percent of incomes to local communities.
The teams of employees at Target comprise of diverse workers bringing friendly, fun, and collaborative attitudes to the workplace. Individuals from different backgrounds and levels of experience may find entry-level jobs at retail stores within the chain. Job seekers hoping to find positions in fast-paced environments where innovative ideas, efficiency, and intelligence receive rewards fit in well. Hardworking associates find career advancement opportunities, and each employee may develop individual skills and desires to pursue a career suited to personal interests. In 2015, the company received multiple awards, such as ranking among the Human Rights Campaign’s Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality, top 100 Best Corporate Citizens according to Corporate Responsibility Magazine, and a place among Fortune Magazine’s World’s Most Admired Companies.
Target Online Application Process
An online application form usually takes at least 45 minutes to complete. Applicants should set aside an appropriate amount of time and may complete the process on a personal computer or at an in-store job application kiosk. Incomplete applications remain saved for 96 hours. Individuals may begin the application process by clicking on the following link: https://corporate.target.com/Careers
Follow the steps below to apply using the Target site
- The Careers page provides prospective associates with links to information about the company as well as a list of employment fields. Choose a desired category, such as “Store Hourly” to see more information about job openings available.
- After clicking on a career field, additional information, such as a brief descriptions of each job role, appears on the left hand side. A small sampling of current job openings appears in the center of the page. Click “View All Job Opening”‘ to conduct more specific searches.
- The search page allows individuals to filter open positions by country, state, and city. Available jobs appear after selecting the desired location. Clicking on job titles brings users to more detailed descriptions of duties and qualifications. Candidates click the red “Apply Now” button to proceed.
- A link at the bottom of the welcome message informs candidates of what materials and resources to gather before beginning the application in order to make the process move as swiftly as possible. Choose the red “Start” button when ready.
- The next page asks candidates to choose between applying for Target stores or distribution centers. For jobs in retail stores, choose the stores option.
- A subsequent webpage asks individuals to verify ages. Applicants must stand at least 18 years old to complete applications online.
- In order to verify the desired store, the application requires users to select the correct location by entering city, state, or zip code information. Stores with available positions appear on the right side of the screen, which prompts users to select a correct branch.
- A list of work areas appears, such as sales floor, grocery, and asset protection, with a brief list of associated job titles and standard responsibilities for each. Select all desired areas and click “Continue” at the bottom of the page.
- Applicants receive a list of positions according to chosen store areas along with basic job descriptions and status of availability. Choose applicable positions and click “Next.”
- An even more detailed list of job descriptions appears based on previous selections, including information about qualifications and benefits. Applicants must rank each selection to indicate desirability before continuing.
- The application again prompts users to gather information such as Social Security numbers, addresses, education information, and previous employment info before continuing.
- After gathering basic information, the first form requires users to enter personal information, such as names, dates of birth, and security details.
- The second section consists of filling out the necessary information to create an e-signature. Follow the prompts on screen and click the “Sign” button to continue. The application prompts users to verify e-signatures for a Drug Free Workplace Policy, Drug Test Consent, and a Consent and Disclosure Agreement. Individuals must also verify legal work status in the United States before saving and continuing on to the next section.
- A third section of the application consists of entering contact information. Users must also indicate the referral source which led to filling out the application for the specific store. Applicants must also indicate proficient languages, levels of education, employment experience, and volunteer experience.
- The fourth section allows applicants to select work preferences, such as start times, desired shifts, hours per week, availability, and desired pay. Applicants typically need to provide electronic signatures before continuing to the next step.
- In the fifth part of the application, candidates must indicate eligibility for Work Opportunity Tax Credits.
- An employment assessment taking around 15 minutes presents users with pairs of statements and asks applicants to choose the most agreeable ones. Click “Continue” to enter information about ethnic background and gender before beginning the assessment.
- Applicants arrive at an instruction page which demonstrates how to answer the upcoming questions. Follow the prompts on screen and click “Next” after selecting the applicable statements to proceed through the assessment. Upon completing the assessment, click the blue link to move on to the next step.
- Aspirants sign back in using personal information to review and finalize the submission.
- Contenders must use personal e-signatures to sign and submit finalized applications.
Associates may take on a variety of roles. Because of the relatively large size of store locations, prospective workers may find job openings in many different departments. Stores consistently hire full-time, part-time, and seasonal workers to fill the roles of sales floor team members, pharmacy technicians, and food service staff.
Sales Floor Team Member – As the face of the company, sales floor team members stand responsible for ensuring each guest receives fast and friendly service. Workers maintain store cleanliness and accessibility, operate point of sales devices such as cash registers, and interact with guests to provide exceptional service. Prospective workers must exhibit the ability to learn new technologies and procedures quickly, react courteously to guest concerns, and work in fast-paced environments. Team members tend to earn hourly wages between $9.00 and $10.00.
Pharmacy Technician – Making an hourly wage of up to $14.00 an hour, certified pharmacy technicians serve guests by filling prescriptions, answering drug-related questions, and operating cash registers. The ability to act with discretion proves a key aspect of the job, as technicians handle sensitive and private information related to guest medications and health. Associates must hold high school diplomas or GEDs, and must demonstrate excellent communication skills. Some stores may require college educations, as well.
Food Service Team Member – Food service team members take responsibility for preparing and serving up delicious, fresh food in timely manners. Employees follow strict health and food safety guidelines to keep food items stocked and kitchen areas clean. Food service teams must help out with other aspects of store operations, such as operating cash registers and assisting store guests, while earning upwards of $9.00 an hour.
In an effort to maintain the happiness and healthiness of workers, Target offers a wide range of employee benefits which help part-time and full-time associates. The holistic approach to job benefits spans key areas such as physical health, financial security, social relationships, career engagement, and even community involvement. Depending on the amount of hours worked and employee eligibility, associates may receive perks like medical insurance, dental coverage, access to vision care, 401(k) retirement plans, paid holidays and vacation time, employee discounts, and life insurance.
Helpful Tips for Applying
To make the application process move as smoothly and quickly as possible, aspirants should prepare necessary documents and information beforehand. Candidates should read directions carefully and follow on-screen prompts. Individuals should fill out required information and double-check entered data before saving and submitting, as well. Questions should receive truthful and consistent answers.
How to Follow Up After Applying Online
Applications remain in the Target system for 60 days, which allows individuals to receive consideration for desired jobs for greater lengths of time. If no responses come after the allotted time periods, prospective workers must create and submit new online application forms to re-apply for desired jobs. Candidates may call desired store locations or conduct in-person visits to make introductions and convey dedication to getting the job.