Why Work Here? A chain of discount department stores often featured in strip malls, Kmart operates throughout the United States and on a global level, as well. The parent company, Sears Holdings Corporation, employs over 196,000 individuals to work at Sears, Kmart, Shop Your Way, MetaScale, and A&E Factory Repair. Retail environments require the subsidiary to consistently hire new candidates to fill opportunities. With a total of roughly 975 stores, aspirants find employment in 49 states, Guam, Puerto Rice, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Seasonal openings, especially during the winter holidays, recruit friendly, charismatic candidates. Workplace atmospheres encourage team building and advancement potential. Staff members maintain the options of earning additional commission on top of fixed hourly pay rates. Driven, goal-oriented employees demonstrate sales abilities and quickly move into managerial roles. Typical work-related benefits accompany most positions. Applicants with little-or-no experience maintain a fair chance at gaining occupations.
Kmart Application Process
The parent corporation maintains online application forms on the website: http://jobs.sears.com/. Detailed steps below allow for candidates to seamlessly apply online and successfully submit application forms.
Follow the steps below to apply using the Kmart site
- Applicants begin the process by selecting job categories, browsing by location, or entering keywords into a basic search engine. Available opportunities populate on the screen allowing contenders to scroll through recent openings.
- After selecting job titles and reading through the descriptions, aspirants may apply immediately or request email notifications when similar positions become available. Social media users may also choose to share opportunities through Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, or email.
- If choosing to apply immediately, candidates receive prompting to manually fill out online applications or allow social media accounts to populate essential details. Manual submissions require email addresses to begin the hiring process.
- Personal information, such as name, current or last job title, zip code, education, and phone number, serve as required information to bring up the next steps in the form. Online contenders must register profiles with usernames and passwords.
- Lengthy profiles start the process by requesting appropriate age category: 15 or younger, 16 to 17 years of age, or over 18 years old. As part of the eligibility section, applicants verify whether legally able to work in the United States and willingness to submit to background and drug screenings.
- The next portion allows users to provide optional cover letters and resumes. Following uploads or dismissals, potential employees enter names, addresses, phone numbers, and emails in the contact category. The education section then asks aspirants to add information into specific fields. Similarly, potential workers may enter employment history data in the blank text fields provided.
- Following education, the availability section seeks a start date, type of hourly employment requested, accessibility for holidays, and the desired number of hours. Other miscellaneous information presented includes any relatives within the company, military status, and work tax credit eligibility.
- After reviewing applications, contenders submit forms and complete an assessment, which takes between 30 and 45 minutes. The evaluation identifies skills and abilities and whether an applicant represents an ideal match with the position desired.
In-demand, entry-level opportunities in fields such as sales, customer service, merchandising, and loss prevention frequently often request large applicant pools. Job titles may include consultative associate in fine jewelry, cashier, layaway associate, and stocker. Excellent customer service skills, as well as the ability to handle quick-paced environments, garner pay rates between $8.00 and $10.00 for entry-level careers. Managerial roles like assistant store manager, front end lead, sales floor supervisor, and general manager yield higher salary options between $36,000 and $74,000 a year. Corporate careers also prove obtainable with the parent company in Hoffman Estates, IL.
Employees of the large retailer receive exceptional benefits packages on top of competitive pay and additional bonuses. Flexible schedules, friendly team environments, and discounts create enticing workplaces. Select positions even grant future security through 401(k) retirement plans, short- and long-term disability, and life insurance. Individuals and dependents enjoy access to medical, dental, and vision coverage, as well. Work/life balance programs remain available through paid time off, such as sick time and vacation time. Employment benefits greatly depend on job title, hourly status, and length of employment.
Helpful Tips for Applying
Assertive applicants demonstrate interest in positions by arriving in person and requesting the attention of hiring managers. Candidates should portray professionalism and proper communication tactics when interacting with staff members. Attire should radiate care and attention, regardless of desired position. Aspirants typically highlight related experience, education, and skill sets directly pertaining to the desired job title. Resumes should also remain well-organized with current and relevant work experience. If unable to stop into store locations, contenders may also call or email recruiters.
How to Follow Up after Applying Online
Human resource associates generally reach out to qualified candidates through phone calls or emails to schedule in-person interviews. Hiring processes may vary based on numbers of applicants and levels of experience required. Individuals looking to follow up may find arriving in person the most beneficial method of making contact with management. Other options consists of calling or emailing to request updates on the statuses of submissions. Aspirants need to remain patient during the process and prepare for interviews by researching the company.