Why Work Here? Strong company cultures centered on community involvement, learning, and integrity await prospective associates interested in working for global hardware store chain, The Home Depot. Store locations promote diversity and inclusion in addition to honoring past and present military members. Employees enjoy competitive pay scales, regular and continual training in niche departments and disciplines, and access to comprehensive job benefits packages. Individuals may work part- or full-time and move into supervisory roles with experience gained.
Extensive growth, popular name recognition, widespread and sustained success, and thousands of available employment opportunities represent some of the most compelling reasons to work for the domestic hardware store chain. The company cares for employees and offers comprehensive training upon hire, with access to competitive pay scales and outstanding work benefits. Associates interact with and establish meaningful rapports with customers and coworkers alike. Available entry-level jobs often serve as stepping stones to long-term employment as managers or in various corporate capacities at the company home offices. The chain provides direct support to aspiring professionals and offers career assistance in training and education.
The Home Depot Application Process
Workers looking for hardware store jobs must log onto The Home Depot careers page by clicking on the following link: http://careers.homedepot.com/. Sift through the requirements and steps outlined below to complete the process.
Follow the steps below to apply using the Home Depot site
- After accessing the general careers page, workers must then select specific employment fields from options like retail, supply chain, home services, contact center, merchandising, and corporate positions. Clicking on a career area brings up detailed information about jobs available and links to begin the formal application process.
- The following screens provide brief descriptions of the most common positions for hire and a button granting access to positions currently available. Applicants search for jobs by state or zip code. Conducting searches brings up lists of job titles for hire on the following page.
- Click on a specific position and then select the “Apply Now” button at the top of the description to begin the process of submitting an online application.
- Workers must create user profiles in order to move forward in the application process. Provide a valid email address and password along with answers to security questions to complete the registration.
- The introductory sections of The Home Depot application begin with questions regarding history working for the retailer, legal ability to work in the United States, and current age. Applicants must also indicate willingness to submit to background checks and drug screenings.
- Following general inquiries, individuals enjoy the ability to upload resumes.
- Applicants then complete detailed personal information sections asking for names, home addresses, phone numbers, birthdays, and the last four digits of individual Social Security numbers.
- Next, the online hiring form brings applicants to employment and education sections. The form requires individuals to list the most recent schools attended and jobs held. Applicants may provide as much information as desired; however, workers should list only relevant career history, if possible.
- Availability also plays a large role in applicant eligibility. Workers move on to list the earliest start dates possible, types of employment desired, i.e. full-time, part-time, or seasonal, and expected pay rates or salary options. Additionally, applications should give preferences for weekend or weekday schedules.
- Due to international presence, The Home Depot asks workers to list proficiency in various languages, if applicable.
- Additional information sections also inquire into whether any family members worked for The Home Depot previously, or if applicants personally ever worked for the hardware store chain. Job seekers must provide information on locating the jobs and the mediums used to come across the employment opportunities.
- A brief section reserved for military service personnel to describe backgrounds appears in the additional information segment of the application, as well.
- Employment hopefuls must then answer questions related to Equal Opportunity Employer laws before filling out formal tax questionnaires. Applicants may opt out of completing the tax questionnaires by clicking on the appropriate box to the right of the screen.
- Provide an email address to confirm the information provided and complete the online application process. Clicking the button labeled “Continue” formally submits the hiring form.
In store, The Home Depot locations offer widespread job opportunities across multiple departments. Workers most readily find employment in entry-level sales and customer service positions. The job titles often serve dual functions, including operating cash registers at assigned help desks and patrolling sales floors to assist guests as needed. Workers also find jobs as cashiers, which typically remain stationary and include ringing up purchases and applying discounts. Other positions for hire include lot associate and freight associate jobs, which involve manual labor and the unloading of shipments and stocking of merchandise shelves through the use of dollies, forklifts, and pallet jacks. Experienced candidates may find work as managers, as well. Each department often employs one or two shift managers in addition to general supervisors who work in tandem with the assistant store manager and store manager at individual locations.
Home Depot job benefits come in the form of health and wellness, financial, and work/life balance programs and plans. Individuals gain access to 401(k) retirement plans, employee stock purchase plans, life insurance, medical, dental, and vision insurance, assistance programs, paid vacation and sick days, tuition reimbursement, and commuter benefits. Adoption assistance, legal services plans, and associate discounts also remain available; however, access to most work benefits outside of associate discounts rely on factors such as part-time or full-time status, tenure with the company, and location.
Helpful Tips for Applying
Job seekers regularly take between 20 and 30 minutes to complete the online application. Collect the necessary information prior to beginning the process to ensure fast and accurate completion of the application. Workers should also choose specific departments and research the requirements and expected duties of each position in order to better gauge the skills hiring managers look for in candidates. Open availability also benefits prospective employees, as locations remain open into the evening and carry weekend and holiday hours.
How to Follow Up After Applying Online
The prominent hardware store alerts candidates via email and through the online user profiles of any determinations regarding application forms. Candidates may check on the statuses of outstanding hiring forms by logging into individual career profiles at any time. Other methods of following up on employment forms include calling store locations or visiting Home Depot in person. When using the latter two methods, job hopefuls should ask to speak directly with management and use the opportunity to discuss interests in working for the company and additional steps necessary to gain employment.